Monday 27 August 2012

Roasted Heirloom Tomato Marinara Sauce

My hubby works for a really awesome company who look after their employees very well.  One perk his company offers it's employees is they can have care for a veggie patch on campus and keep what it produces.  He's only been there about 6 months but lucked out taking-over a patch from a colleague going on maternity leave.  The patch is little and he only planted tomato's this year, but WOW I couldn't believe what it has produced so far!  He's been bringing home a good haul of Heirloom and cherry tomatoes (we joke that daddy brings home the tomatoes not bacon) every week for 3 weeks now.

What do we do with this many heirloom tomatoes? (and more to come)

Straight from the garden


Naturally, I turned to Pinterest looking for a great sauce using heirloom tomatoes.  It needed to be easy, quick, and yummy! The first recipe I found sounded amazing, looked super easy and used heirloom tomatoes...PERFECT I LOVE PINTEREST!  I also loved that this recipe recommended roasting the tomatoes for an even sweeter taste. 


You can find the recipe I used here which was created by Sally Cameron, chef and health coach from A Food Centric Life.

Here is my go at Roasted Tomato Marinara Sauce with Garlic and Oregano.

We chopped up the tomatoes, onion and garlic as directed but we also added red and yellow peppers then threw in the oregano, salt and pepper.

Added the olive oil and wine of course. This house is never short on red wine and this one just happened to be open that day.


Mixed it all together and put it in the pan.  I'm lucky we were at the in-laws this weekend and I got to use all my MIL's fancy cookware.  I love this roasting pan!


 Peeking and stirring after 45mins of roasting...the smell is AMAZING!


 I was so excited I forgot to take photos of it all done roasting and of it in the Vitamix.


Finally the finished product (in vacuum sealed freezer bags).

We froze 3 packs, however opened one a few days later as we couldn't wait to try the sauce.
All I have to say is Best sauce I have ever had, YUMMY!  

There is nothing like veggies fresh from the garden or homemade food.  So simple and so real!

A few variations we have tried since the first batch.
#1- Omitted the salt and used chicken stock so the baby can have some once he's eating solids.
#2- Used cherry tomatoes as well, they popped and squirted when roasted, and made the taste so good!
#3- Pureed longer and higher in the Vitamix, the seeds were then non-existent (know real sauce has no seeds but we didn't mind)


Leave a comment and let me know how much you loved this sauce and all your variations!


No comments:

Post a Comment