Tuesday 21 August 2012

Gluten-Free at the CNE

After I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease a year ago (and got over my denial of the dangers of consuming any gluten in my diet) I discovered how careful I need to be about what and where I eat.   At first I was just trying to eat GF as much as I could until my doctor explained the dangers this way... "If there is nothing gluten-free then you just don't eat, it's that simple" and that serious.  

I am a self proclaimed food addict, I don't like lots of different foods (I'm getting way better) but I LOVE food, so not eating is not an option for me.  I love food so much that I tell people, "My hubby eats so he can work-out, I work-out so I can eat" and I work-out a lot!  I love to be able to go out for a nice meal with hubby and friends but it is tough.  Some restaurants offer lots of GF options and others offer NONE!  Yeah I know, how is that possible this day-in-age.  

A few weeks ago my mom and I were having a discussion about Gluten-Free options at restaurants and she mentioned she felt that there really it's not a big enough demand for most restaurants to offer that many Gluten-Free options.  This got me thinking...

Would more people go to specific restaurants if they knew there were LOTS of options for allergen-free foods?  
Would more companies offer MORE allergen-free foods if they knew more people would eat there?

I think yes to both, but it's one of those chicken or egg came first kinda deals.  I am always trying to find restaurants with GF options and when I find them I typically keep going back.  

Today I found a really great website and Blog created by Jax, a Certified Holistic Nutritionist living in Toronto who was diagnosed with Celiac 6 years ago. 

 Gluten Free Ontario is a fantastic resource for finding GF options across Ontario.  She lists all kinds of restaurants that offer GF options across Ontario (Canada) on the website and on her Blog she has all kinds of contests, information and ideas for GF options!  I'll be back to this one for sure!

Jax also has a fantastic post about GF options and restaurants which is totally worth a read.  See Why Boston Pizza had to pull their gluten-free menu and how the 'WHY' will effect GF options everywhere.  



Specifically what I thought was really great was a list outlining which food vendors at the CNE offered options for all the different dietary restrictions.  See the list for CNE Food Building Dietary Restrictions and check out her blog for more posts on gluten-free food options at various tourist attractions across Ontario. 

What restaurants offering GF options are your fav's and which GF dishes are your go-to's when there is not much to choose from. 


No comments:

Post a Comment